- 4 slices rye or white bread
- 1/2 c. well drained sauerkraut, snipped
- 1/2 tsp. caraway seed
- 1/2 lb. cooked Polish sausage or bratwurst, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. sliced green onion
- 4 oz. thinly sliced Mozzarella cheese
- 4 beaten eggs
- 2 c. milk
- 1 tbsp. all-purpose flour
Diagonally halve bread slices to make 8 triangles. Arrange half of bread triangles in an 8"x8"x2" baking dish.
In a small mixing bowl stir together sauerkraut and caraway seeds and set aside.
Cook bratwurst sausage and onion for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain. Spoon sauerkraut mixture over bread, top with sausage mixture and cheese slices. Arrange remaining bread on top of cheese. Beat together the eggs, milk and flour; pour over strata. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 3 to 24 hours.
Bake, uncovered in a 325 degree oven for 1 hour. It is done when knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. The bratwurst sausage recipe is ready to serve...enjoy the feasts !