CHOUCROUTE GARNIE ALSACIENNE ...an amazing bratwurst sausage recipe to try !
- 3 lbs. sauerkraut, rinsed & well drained
- 1/2 lb. thickly sliced bacon
- 4 pork sausages
- 4 bratwurst or knockwurst
- 4 frankfurters
- 8 pork chops
- 1 lb. smoked ham, cut in pieces
- 2 c. white wine
- 3 whole onions, peeled & stuffed with 3 cloves
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp. black peppercorns
Place sauerkraut in large pan; add peppercorns, onions and white wine, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Saute bacon until crisp; drain. Brown all sausage in hot fat; drain. Brown pork chops and ham in same skillet. Place a layer of sauerkraut over 2 slices bacon; lay half of sausages, two more slices bacon and meats. Cover with a layer of sauerkraut and repeat the process. Cover tightly and simmer 3 hours (pour 1 cup of water during cooking, if necessary). Season to taste
with salt and pepper. Serve with boiled potatoes....and the bratwurst sausage recipe is ready to serve...hmmm...delicious ! Bon apetit !